James Riley, 1844-1939, and the Ticket to Gettysburg



I was born near N’Orleans, the city of tears

and I talk cajun, not understood by my grandkids

a Mississippi plantation bought me when I was five

the weeping foment of the auction block

men, women, and children sold like livestock.

One day I saw one of the Duprée children reading a          book 

I aks’d about the letters on the page

“What are all of them black squiggles?” 

a Duprée child say, “They little niggers 

but they'll learn you if you know how to listen”


'63 was our first chance for men to live as men

though we had to escape the paddyrollers

me I swimmed across the Mississip

joined up with the 49th Infantry

fought the Battle of Milliken’s Bend

United States Colored Troops, USCT initialed it

cut on so many gravestones across Union land

and I can count a dozen here in Lincoln County

I was tall and wiry but I was a fightin' man.


I was at Gettysburg, saw the Rebs quit at Appomattox

then I buffalo-soldiered a bit

came to this country twenty years before white folks

I helped plant elm trees on the old Post Road

that crosses Route 66 west of Chandler

In '38 the gubmint held a three-day old soldiers rally

75th hoorah for them as had fought at Gettysburg

gave train tickets for a couple a thousand of us to go.


I was the only colored among the 63 from Oklahoma

and I'd be the first to sleep in a Pullman car

white folks’ panties got twisted, they got in a snit 

it was a gubmint ticket but the railroad wouldn't honor it

but Mrs. Lena Sawner she was principal of the black 

highschool she helped me and by God we did it

three days I sat by the window so folks could see me

and say "What'n hell 's that old nigger doing in there?"

The black porter bring me food always wore a smile

we got to Gettys and I offered him a tip. He refused, 

said he was honored to contribute to my trip.




[The top pic is from Gettysburg 1938, James Riley on the right]


The Ticket


Civil War stone in Clearview Cemetery


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that I was able to see this post. I'm ashamed that whites made slaves of African Americans and stole lands from the American indians. God loves all his children !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank all of the African Americans for their service.

    ReplyDelete